Wednesday, February 3, 2010


So here it is....I love to eat and cook, and I always put on my facebook status what I made for dinner and/or desserts I enjoyed afterwards. I have been told numerous times to put all of my recipes on a blog so I'm finally going to break down and do it, be advised that I may throw in a few things about my family too Ü.

Here's a little insight as to why I like food and cooking in the first place, I give all the credit to my wonderful mom Ü, as long as I can remember she made dinner pretty much every night, and when I say dinner I mean a main dish, side dish (veggies), salad, and a bread of some sort and of course we can't forget about dessert, BUT..... everything HAD to be eaten off your plate to be able to have dessert and I'm pretty sure that's what started my love for food. Then I go and get married to one of THE pickiest eaters ever made, but I will say in the past 3 years of our nearly 10 year marriage he's broken out of his spaghetti, hamburger and pizza world that he was living in Ü. I do the whole dinner thing like my mom did and eating everything before dessert too, it totally gets Jordan to eat what is put on his plate, I love it!

Well....let's get started Ü

Last night I made a ridiculously easy dinner, it was pretty much a chicken and rice foil dinner:

Nested Chicken

1 c. rice, cooked
2 T onion soup mix
1 T butter
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, whole or cut in pieces
2 T evaporated milk

Ingredient amounts are per person. For each serving use about 12 inches of foil. Butter middle of foil and layer the ingredients as follows: rice, 1 T onion soup mix, butter, chicken, 1 T onion soup mix, evaporated milk. roll up and seal foil. Bake in shallow pan at 350 for one hour. You could even throw some veggies in too, like peas or something....I'll keep experimenting with this one.

My all time most FAVORITE dinner is chicken enchiladas, all the kids in my family got to pick what dinner they wanted for their birthday and that's what I would always choose, my brother wasn't very happy whenever my birthday would come around cause he HATED chicken enchiladas, but in return he would always have nasty sloppy joes on his birthday BLAH, YUCK!!!!

Chicken Enchiladas

about 2-3 chicken breasts, depending on size (bone-in or boneless)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 16 oz sour cream
1 small can chopped green chilies
8 to 10 flour tortillas (or more depending on how much room is left in your pan)
about 2 c. shredded cheese

Boil chicken and shred. Mix together in med. bowl cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and chilies. Layer on flour tortillas a small amount of chicken, a small amount (a large spoon full) of soup mixture and a small amount of cheese down the center. Roll the tortilla up and set in 9x13 pan. Continue, setting them side by side until the pan if full, it's ok to squish them together. Spread remaining soup mixture on top trying to pretty much cover all of it and top with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for 20-30 min or until cheese is melted and soup mixture is bubbly.
I serve this with refried beans topped with cheese on the side.


This next recipe is a major addiction!!!!

The Best Gooey Caramel Popcorn

1 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
1 bag mini marshmallows
1 c. popcorn kernels
peanuts, however much you'd like, maybe 1/4-1/2 c.

Pop kernels and set aside in a large bowl. Melt together in a large pot, butter, brown sugar and marshmallows, do not boil. When it's all melted, pour over popcorn and mix until covered. Eat it warm or when it's cooled, but be careful....you may not be able to put it down once you start.

In Junior High I was in a Home Ec class and learned how to make this great meal in a wok. My mom happened to have a wok, not exactly sure why we had one, but I made it at home and it was a hit. My dad always called it Jill Primavera. The chicken we used for the recipe way back then I can no longer find so I just use boneless, skinless chicken breasts now. I don't have any exact measurements so i'll do my best with the amounts.

Jill Primavera

2-3 boneless, skinless chicken beasts
half fresh broccoli (depending on size)
half fresh cauliflower (depending on size)
half bag baby carrots (cut in half lengthwise)
4-5 chicken flavor ramen
approx. 3-3 1/2 c. water

Wash and cut veggies, throw all together in a large bowl and set aside. Dice and cook chicken in skillet. In a large pot or wok heat about 3-4 T oil over med high heat, when oil is ready put all veggies in a toss until broccoli is just turning a nice green, crush the ramen while it's still packaged and then add all ramen packets and seasoning packets, here's the hard part, add enough water to soften the noddles, but not too much that it's soupy, start with about 3 c. and go from there. Stir all together, have all the ramen take a turn at the bottom of the pot to get soft. When ramen is done add the chicken and mix together. With each serving top with soy sauce. We like to eat ritz crackers with it.

Tip: use the prepackaged vegetable medley (broccoli, cauliflower and carrots) sold in the produce section, it's great for a quicker prep time.


3 comments:

  1. Yay!!! I'm excited to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on your blog! It looks great! I found a site this morning that has cute cooking layouts if you are interested. scrappinblogs.blogspot.com
    I love your recipes! I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome jill! i have a recipe blog, too- http://cookbookjunkies.blogspot.com. We'll have to chat about recipes at work sometime (when I'm not in the squash court!).....

    ReplyDelete